Sunday, June 19, 2022

An original short story: Courage to Change the Things I Can

I wrote this in response to the prompt "Tempted." Hope you enjoy!

Courage to Change the Things I Can by Patty Panni

Instead of walking past Chic Retreat as she’d been doing for weeks, Claire walked into the upscale boutique located on the Village Square, just around the corner from the dry cleaners where she worked. The fabulous clothes and shoes in the window had called to her like a glorious siren song, beautiful but dangerous.

I will not buy anything. I will not buy anything.

“Can I help you?” The woman’s voice came from behind her, and Claire startled to hear it.

“Oh no. I’m just looking,” she replied.

“We’re having a sale today. All our bags are fifteen percent off. Also, there’s a rack of sale items in the back.”

Sale. Claire licked her lips. She strolled over to the handbags. There were designer canvas satchels, small jewel-toned clutches, and what looked to be a hand-painted leather hobo. She touched the hobo bag, fingers stroking the painted image of a peacock, brilliant blues against the fine cream leather. What would it look like, slung over her shoulder? She glanced at the price. $285. Her mind calculated the sale price automatically: it would still be $242 and change. I can’t.

She walked to the rack of clothes in the back marked Clearance. Ooh, a navy silk tee. Is it in my size? No…I can’t!

Shaking her head, Claire backed away, heading to the door.

“Come again,” the woman called as she left.

Not if I can help it. Claire fast-walked the four blocks to the church and ducked in a side door, greeting a few people. She sat in the circle of chairs just as a woman began speaking.

“Welcome to Spenders Anonymous. My name is Gina and I’m a compulsive spender. I have over $78,000 in credit card debt.”

“Hi, Gina,” Claire said, along with the rest of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An original short story: Marie's House by Patty Panni

“Gracious Living, how may I help you?” The voice on the phone was polished and friendly. Like she was actually interested in helping me. “...