Wednesday, April 14, 2021

An Original Short Story: The Gift

The Gift by Patty Panni

“I’m so bored,” my 13-year-old daughter said yet again. Give me strength.

“Why don’t you call McKenzie?” Maddy’s best friend looked and acted like she was 18, but I was desperate. “She could come over...or you could go over there.” 

“McKenzie is at her dad’s this weekend. I told you that, Mother! You never listen to me.”

Stifling a sigh, I said, “Okay Maddy. What would you like to do? If you could do anything today, what would you choose?” I figured she would ask me to take her to a movie or the mall. She hesitated, thinking. Whatever it was I was prepared to say yes, if only to have some peace and quiet for a few hours. 

“Mom...why don’t we go to the shore? We could go to the Boardwalk and have lunch at Sharkey’s.” As the idea grew in her mind her tone got brighter. “And we could go to the souvenir shops to look at all the cheesy beach stuff!” She looked at me expectantly, hopefully. “Could we, Mom?”

I was stunned. Was my daughter actually proposing spending the day with me? “You want us to go to the beach...together?”

“Sure. That is, unless you’re busy today.” Her voice trailed off and she began to turn away.

“Of course we can go! That sounds like fun. Can you be ready in a half hour?”

“Faster than that, Mom! This is gonna be great!”

Watching her race down the hall to her room, I smiled. A day out together would be just the thing. Losing her father had been so hard on her...on us. Mark had been a great dad. And a great husband. The past year had been interminable, and we were both struggling, trying to figure out life without him. I’d felt Madison pulling away but, drowning in grief myself, I had done little to reach out to her. Now, it felt as though the gulf between us had lessened just a bit. It was a start -- a gift -- and I’d take it.

“I’ll race you,” I called out. “Bet I can be ready before you!”

In no time, we were in the car and on our way. Maddy found an oldies station on the radio and we found ourselves singing along to the Beach Boys. “I wanna take you down to Kokomo. We’ll get there fast and then we’ll take it slow.” It was, in a word, fantastic. I loved seeing my daughter like this -- like she used to be -- goofy and happy and loving life.

“This was such a great idea, honey.” I found a parking space and within a few minutes we were on the Boardwalk, sunglasses on, the smells of fish and suntan lotion and the sea enveloping us like a hug. Seagulls careened and cavorted around us, their calls sharp and distinctive.

“Ooh Mom, let’s go in here.” It was a little boutique I’d not seen before. The interior was dim and quiet, almost as if we’d entered another world. There were displays of crystals and jewelry, dreamcatchers and scented oils. It was a sensory experience just walking through the shop. At the back, a sign announced “Clayton Collins – Psychic Readings.” A young man who looked to be in his 20s sat at a table. 

“Hi. Would you like a reading today?” He had a slim build, with striking blue eyes and brown hair pulled back in a ponytail. “I believe I have a message for you.”

“Oh, I don’t think--”

“Yes! Let’s do it.” Madison sounded excited.

“Well, I’m not sure--”

“Oh come on, Mom?” Her tone told me how much she wanted to do this. 

“Well...all right.” We sat at the table and the man studied us for a moment. His penetrating gaze seemed to see my very soul.

“You’ve suffered a big loss,” he stated, “and this has been a really difficult time for you.”

Wow. Was our grief that palpable? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“May I hold your hand?” I opened my eyes to see Clayton was talking to me. I extended my hand and he took it, his hand warm and steady. 

“Yes, he’s here. He loves you very much. You were married a long time?” I nodded. “He’s telling me you’ve been living on auto-pilot since he passed. That’s not what he wants.” He paused. “He says it’s time for you to look to the future. It’s time to live life fully. That’s what he wants for you. He wants you to be happy, to find love, to go on.” His eyes were locked on mine. “That is his message to you.

Clayton took Madison’s hand as well. “And for you, wow...his message is very strong. He says he loves you to the moon and back, and always will.” Madison gasped and tears came to her eyes.

“Her father told her that every night at bedtime.” 

“He's still saying it. His love didn’t die. It’s just as strong as if he were here physically. I see a golden light surrounding you both, protecting you and guiding you to the future. He wants you to be happy, to live fully.” 

Clayton released our hands and we sat for a moment, breathing in the sense of peace that washed over us. 

“Thank you,” I said as I pressed some money into Clayton’s hand. “I can’t tell you how much…well, it was exactly what we needed to hear.” Madison and I stood and walked out the door, blinking in the sunshine. It seemed brighter than when we went in. Everything seemed bathed in a new light, especially my daughter’s face.

“That was amazing!” Madison’s smile was brighter than I’d seen in a long time.

“It sure was. I have to admit, I had my doubts, but Clayton seems like the real deal. Hey, you know what? I’m famished. How does fish and chips from Sharkey’s sound to you?” I looped my arm into Madison’s as we strolled together along the Boardwalk.

2 comments:

An original short story: Marie's House by Patty Panni

“Gracious Living, how may I help you?” The voice on the phone was polished and friendly. Like she was actually interested in helping me. “...