Wednesday, April 21, 2021

An original short story: The Pitch

So, I'm in a writing group. Each month we are given an assignment containing a prompt and a word count. The prompt is sort of a jumping off place, and your take on it can be as literal or figurative as you want. You can use the prompt as your story's title if you wish, but it's not obligatory. The word count, however, is strictly enforced. The reasoning is that creating a story of exactly xx words sharpens a writer's focus and develops editing skills. It also has given me a general idea of what type of story will fit into a particular sized container. Finally, my group provides for feedback, which is invaluable for a writer wishing to hone her craft. 

The hardest stories for me to write are the shorts. My sweet spot is about 1,200-1,800 words, so anything under 1,000 words is challenging and the shorter, the harder for me. This story is an example of an extremely short word count. The prompt was "The Pitch" and the word length was 200. So this one was tough! I sort of went with a "slice of life" tale. Hope you enjoy.

The Pitch by Patty Panni

Mark gave his best lopsided grin up at her.

“So, whaddya say, Mom? Can we?”

“Honey, I don’t know. Camping in our backyard is one thing. But Henderson Park … that’s a big difference.”

“C’mon Mom! I’m almost 13. And Eddie’s already 13! I promise we’ll be careful. Pleeeeaassseee?”

Sharon looked at her son a long moment, finally allowing him a tight smile.

“If I say yes—”

“YES!” Mark pulled a celebratory fist down.

“Hey! I said IF. Here are some things you have to promise me.”

“Anything, Mom! Go ahead!”

“Number one – be VERY careful lighting your campfire. And twice as careful dousing it. Pour lots of water on it and tamp it down.”

Mark nodded earnestly.

“And be home in the morning by the time I leave for work.”

“Sure, mom. Anything else?”

“Well…make sure the flashlight has good batteries in it.”

“WOOHOOOOO!!” Mark ran off to check the flashlight and call Eddie.

Watching him go, Sharon sighed. Kids camped in Henderson all the time and the Park was well patrolled, so they’d be safe. It was just … bittersweet. He was her baby, after all.

“Eddie?! She said yes!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

An original short story: Marie's House by Patty Panni

“Gracious Living, how may I help you?” The voice on the phone was polished and friendly. Like she was actually interested in helping me. “...