Thursday, November 11, 2021

An original short story: A Graceland Christmas

In a complete departure from what I usually write, this is a fun little romantic tale set at Christmastime right here in my hometown. I hope you enjoy.  

*       *      *      *


“Happy Holidays!. Welcome to Memphis International Airport. Proceed this way to Baggage Claim.” The airline agent had on a dark blue jacket and skirt and, predictably, blue suede shoes. The two women behind me squealed.

“Helen, look! Blue Suede shoes! How clever is that?! Miss, can we please get our picture taken with you? We just have to show the folks back home in Duluth how Elvis is represented even at the airport!”

I grinned at the guy next to me and kept walking.

“Poor girl. I bet she gets that all the time.”

“Yep. But she’s totally asking for it with the shoes.”

We moved down the escalator and toward the luggage turnstile.

“Are you from Memphis, or just visiting?” His eyes were greenish hazel and had “smile crinkles” at the edges.

“Quick business trip from Philadelphia. You?”

“This is home for me.” He had a slight southern drawl which was kind of adorable. “I’m Christian, by the way.”

“Joanna. It’s nice to meet you.” We shook hands, formally, which made us laugh. His grip was warm and strong.

“You staying around the airport? We could share an Uber.”

Whoa, girl. You don’t even know this guy. Do NOT tell him where you’re staying.

“I’m staying downtown, actually.”

“Well that’s a nice coincidence. I live north of downtown and we'll go right past there. Now we definitely need to share a ride. It’s meant to be.” Christian grinned down at me with his crinkly green eyes and I couldn’t help myself.

“Sure, why not.”

When we got to my hotel, he got out of the car to help me with my bag.

“Joanna…I know we just met and you don’t know me at all and you’re here to work, but—"

“—How about we meet up for dinner tomorrow night?”

Seriously? Did you just ask him out?

I rushed on, “I could give you a call once I know what time I’ll be done tomorrow.”

“Perfect. I’ll take you to one of my favorite spots.”

My meetings the next day were interminable and I found myself thinking about Christian: his tall, slim build, the way his brown hair curled a little at the collar, his lazy grin. I wanted to know more about him and for him to know more about me. When we finally adjourned, I called him. He answered on the first ring.

“Hey, you.” He laughed, and I could hear the sound of a dog barking in the background.

“Hi. Where are you?”

“In my backyard throwing the ball with Lucky.”

“Lucky?”

“My dog. My 75-pound Golden Retriever, to be exact.” Apparently, he flung the ball because I could hear a great rush of crunching leaves which faded almost immediately.

“Wow, that’s a lot of dog.”

Christian chuckled. “Well, he’s more than just a dog. He’s my best friend. When I returned from my last tour in Iraq, he really helped me.”

“I didn’t know you were in the military. What branch?”

“Army. After three deployments I was done. Just ready for a change.”

“You know, I feel like I could talk to you for hours.”

“Me too. So, how fast can you be ready for me to pick you up?”

We ate dinner at a home-style restaurant on a quiet street, not at all the sort of place I thought he might take me. I loved it. We lingered over dessert and coffee, talking about our past, our present, our hopes for the future.

Finally, I said, “I hate to even mention it but it’s getting late. My meetings start early tomorrow. I ... I'm supposed to fly out tomorrow evening, but I really don't want to do that.”

“Then don’t.” He took my hand. “Stay with me for a few days. I want to spend more time with you. You haven’t even met Lucky yet. And, most important, you haven’t seen Graceland.”

“Graceland?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Of course. You can’t come to Memphis at Christmas and not see Graceland. It’s heresy!”

My meetings finally concluded, I checked out of the hotel the next day. Christian was waiting at the front door in his pickup.

“This is insane. I’ve never done anything like this before.”

His eyes crinkled at me. “Me neither. How about we drop your stuff off at the house and you can meet Lucky. I don’t want to make too big a deal out of it, but his approval of anyone I date is very important.”

“Good to know. Sure hope I pass the test.”

“I’ll tell you a secret. He’s a pushover for a girl with a liver snap hidden in her pocket.”

Christian lived in a red brick ranch-style home on a large lot. Beautiful oak trees framed the front of the house and I could see evergreens in the back.

“Brace yourself.” Christian unlocked the door and I could hear him before I saw him. Thundering paws ran to meet us, skidding to a stop right in front of us. Lucky was magnificent, blond, and huge.

“Lucky, sit.”

Lucky sat.

“Wow, he’s beautiful.”

“Well, don’t let him hear you say that. He’ll get a big head.”

Christian made dinner and we ate on the back patio.

“I can’t believe this weather. There’s snow on the ground at home.”

“Sounds like you might need a new home.” He grinned as he stood and reached for my plate. “Let’s drop these off in the kitchen and go for a drive.”

We drove through the city, looking at the Christmas lights. Christian stopped at a park overlooking the Mississippi River. A barge moved slowly below us and its long, low horn sounded.

“This is perfect, Christian.”

“I know. It’s one of my favorite places to go at night. It’s usually quiet like this. A good place to think. And talk.” He looked at me. “Joanna, I know this is really fast and probably crazy, but I’m so attracted to you. And the more we get to know each other, the stronger that attraction grows.”

“I feel the same way.”

Our first kiss was slow and sweet. I thought we would linger awhile, but Christian started up the truck and continued driving.

“Next stop Graceland?”

“Next stop Graceland.”

When we reached the iconic gates, I looked at the beautiful white house, covered in Christmas lights, sitting up on a hill. Even at this hour, there were tourists milling about, taking selfies and reading plaques.

“Know why I brought you here?”

“Um, ‘cause you have a side gig as an Elvis impersonator?”

He shook his head.

“Hmm…you have a podcast called “Love me Tender”? He chuckled and put his hand over my mouth.

“Hush. I’m trying to be serious here.”

“Oh. Sorry.” I smiled up at his profile.

“I brought you here because Graceland at Christmas is magical. And I mean, seriously magical. Growing up, every time I came here at Christmas and made a wish, that wish came true. Every time.”

“Is that a fact?”

“It is. And this year…well, all of a sudden I have a very important wish to make.”

“Actually, I think I might have a wish of my own to make.”

💙

 

2 comments:

  1. You really know how to write Patty. I liked this a great deal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. This one was fun to write!

      Delete

An original short story: Marie's House by Patty Panni

“Gracious Living, how may I help you?” The voice on the phone was polished and friendly. Like she was actually interested in helping me. “...