Monday, December 27, 2021

An original short story: Lucky Day

This is a super short story (only 300 words) I wrote a few years ago. Hope you enjoy.

His warm brown eyes follow me, as they do every time I enter the room. Breakfast is served, ladies and gents. I work my way from the door toward his enclosure, measuring out food and water for each dog. It’s quiet this morning, not like the boisterous atmosphere that greets me most days. Eventually, I reach him. 

“Hey there, Harley. Whatcha think, boy? Think today might be your lucky day?” Steadfast and clear, his eyes study me as if I’m about to impart the wisdom of the ages. I can’t say what it is exactly that makes him so special, but I am absolutely convinced that Harley is one in a million, truly exceptional. Trouble is, at first glance there’s not much that stands out when you look at him. Medium build, mild manner, a little gray around the edges…he’s easy to overlook in a group.  But when you stop and take a look at his eyes…his eyes show the depth of his character, the beauty of his soul.

Right before closing, an older couple comes in. “Maltese,” my co-worker mutters, to which I whisper a reply, “Nah…maybe Dachshund.” We always play “Guess What Kind of Dog the Customer Will Request.” It helps to pass the time. 

“Welcome to Lucky Day Rescue,” I say, “Can I help you?”

“We’re looking for a dog, maybe an older dog, with a sweet disposition,” the man says. “Not too big, but not tiny either.” He glances at the woman and continues, “We recently lost our boy Max…he was the best dog ever. We know we can’t replace him, but we still have lots of love to give.”

I breathe a silent prayer: Thank You.

Smiling, I say, “You’re in luck. I’ve got just the dog for you to meet. His name is Harley.” 

1 comment:

An original short story: Marie's House by Patty Panni

“Gracious Living, how may I help you?” The voice on the phone was polished and friendly. Like she was actually interested in helping me. “...